The first step in determining which upgrades are available for your Mac Pro is to figure out which model Mac Pro you have. Since the Mac Pro models look (almost) the same physically, you’ll need to power on your computer to check.
1. Click on the Apple logo at the upper left corner of your screen. If you’re in fullscreen mode, mouse to the top of the screen to make the menu bar appear. Choose “About This Mac”.
2. Click on the “More Info” button.
3. Click on “System Report…” (Snow Leopard and earlier does not have this step.)
4. Look where it says “Model Identifier” – you will see something like “MacPro5,1”.
Here is a list of the possible Mac Pro Identifiers:
- MacPro1,1 (2006 Mac Pro)
- MacPro2,1 (2007 Mac Pro)
- MacPro3,1 (2008 Mac Pro)
- MacPro4,1 (2009 Mac Pro)
- MacPro5,1 (2010 and 2012 Mac Pro)